Flavourful winter-warming soups, and extra time to sip on some Sauvignon.
If you saw our post about the Pea & Pesto Soup with Ashbourne Sauvignon Blanc/ Chardonnay, you’ll know we’ll be sharing four soups and four Sauvignon Blanc supper suggestions over the next four weeks. Why? We feel winter should be a time to wine – ahem – wind down, and one way to do that is to spend less time in the kitchen and more time enjoying good conversation over hearty food and wine.
We chose Pesto Princess‘ soups because they offer convenience without skimping on the home-cooked flavours. And because we love their heart-warming buy-one-give-one campaign, where they’re supporting the Ladles of Love soup kitchen by donating a hot meal to someone in need with every soup sachet purchased.
On the sipping Sauvignon Blanc side of things – for which we had more time with all the no-cooking – Nitida‘s Bush Baby Sauvignon Blanc/ Semillon filled our glasses with a clean yet creamy blend beautifully balancing passionfruit and zesty citrus. Nitida have proven many times over that they know how to do a good Sauvignon Blanc, and they’ve put that experience and skill to good work in this accessible wine. The Semillon teams up with the Sauvignon Blanc to add just enough texture and body to the wine, softening the edges just enough without losing the refreshing acidity expected by many Sauvignon Blanc appreciators.
#SoupAndSauvignon Supper Instructions
Ready the Soup
- Pour the soup into a saucepan and heat slowly on a low-medium heat, stirring now and then, until it starts bubbling.
Pour the Wine
- You’ve got this bit.
Prepare the Beetroot Chips
- Preheat the oven to 200⁰C.
- Cut whole beetroots into thin slivers about 3mm thick, (roughly half a beet per person).
- On an oven roasting tray, toss beets in olive oil with a sprinkle of salt.
- Roast for 5 minutes on each side, or until they are as crispy as you like them.
- Refresh your glasses with Sauvignon Blanc. Heat soup bowls (a little hot water from the kettle works nicely) and serve soup with beetroot chips, a swirl of Pesto Princess sundried tomato pesto (optional but yum), and garnish with microgreens.