The race for top honours in South Africa’s only competition exclusively devoted to Sauvignon Blanc is intensifying with the announcement of the 20 finalists in the running for the 2015 FNB Sauvignon Blanc Top 10.
FNB’s sponsorship of the competition, which is organised in conjunction with the Sauvignon Blanc Interest Group of South Africa (SBIG), lead to The FNB Sauvignon Blanc Top 10 becoming a leading platform for producers of this noble cultivar to showcase and benchmark their wines. Sauvignon Blanc is one of the country’s most competitive and dynamic wine categories, and this year’s judging panel had the mammoth task of selecting the Top 20 finalists from a vast number of high-quality entries.
Charles Hopkins, cellar master at De Grendel and well-known wine judge, acted as convenor of the judging panel which included the likes of Cathy van Zyl: Master of Wine, Richard Kershaw: winemaker and MW, Winnie Bowman: Cape Wine Master, Trizanne Barnard: winemaker and entrepreneur behind Trizanne Signature Wines, Christian Eedes: wine writer and online Wine Mag editor, and Narina Cloete: winemaker and experienced wine judge.
The Top 20 wines, in alphabetical order, are:
- Cederberg Private Cellar Sauvignon Blanc 2015
- Cederberg Ghost Corner Sauvignon Blanc 2014
- Durbanville Hills Rhinofields Sauvignon Blanc 2014
- Hidden Valley Sauvignon Blanc 2015
- Jordan Sauvignon Blanc 2014
- Kleine Zalze Family Reserve Sur Lie Sauvignon Blanc 2015
- Kleine Zalze Family Reserve Sur Lie Sauvignon Blanc 2013
- Lomond Cape Agulhas Sauvignon Blanc 2015
- Mulderbosch 1000 Miles Sauvignon Blanc 2013 (wooded)
- Merwida Sauvignon Blanc 2015
- Mooiplaas Sauvignon Blanc 2015
- Nederburg Private Bin D234 Sauvignon Blanc 2014
- Nederburg Two Centuries Sauvignon Blanc 2014 (wooded)
- Overhex Survivor Sauvignon Blanc 2015 (wooded)
- Rivendell Sauvignon Blanc 2014
- Shannon Sanctuary Peak Sauvignon Blanc 2015 (wooded)
- Spier 21 Gables Sauvignon Blanc 2015
- Tokara Reserve Collection Elgin Sauvignon Blanc 2015
- Uva Mira Sing-a-Wing Sauvignon Blanc 2015
- Windmeul Kelder Sauvignon Blanc 2015
Stephan Claassen, FNB Business Western Cape Provincial Head believes that “FNB and the Sauvignon Blanc Top 10 Competition are a natural match, as both aim to identify, and provide, the best quality products and services available in the marketplace. Through the sponsorship of this competition, FNB is a proud supporter of the wine industry and encourages the local and international development of this dynamic industry. ”
This year’s Top 20 list includes previous winners and exciting new offerings, demonstrating a strong indication as to the innovation and growth within the Sauvignon Blanc category. These wines originate from a variety of regions including Stellenbosch, Cederberg, Paarl, Agulhas, Bot River, Elgin, Rawsonville and Worcester. The winners will be announced at Val de Vie on the 23rd of October.
For more information, contact Anka du Toit at 021 863-1599. Stay connected with SBIG on social media via Facebook: Sauvignon Blanc Interest Group of South Africa, follow the group on Twitter @SauvignonSA and on Google+ Sauvignon Blanc SA. Find the latest SBIG news on www.sauvignon.com. Join the conversation using #SBIG and #FNBTop10.
Issued by: Marlene Truter Communications
tel 083 294 6060
On behalf of SBIG
Contact: Anka du Toit
tel 021 863-1599